As instructed by Supreme Court Committee on Road Safety, New Delhi , the Commerce & Transport Department has constituted the “Lead Agency on Road Safety” with the members derived from various stake holder departments vide order no – TRN-LC-Misc – 0012/2014- 695 /T dated 03.02.2015 and Transport Commissioner being the Chairman.
The Government have directed to constitute a Committee to act as full time basis for the “Lead Agency on Road Safety”. The Committee deals with all matters related to Road Safety in the State and the Joint Commissioner Transport (RS) being the Chairman and with following members deputed to work in the Lead Agency.
- Police Officer (in the rank of Deputy Superintendents of Police) on deputation from Home Department, Govt. of Odisha.
- Road Safety Engineer (in the rank of Executive Engineer) on deputation from works Department, Govt. of Odisha.
- Education Officer (in the rank of Junior Lecturer or Block Education Officer) on deputation From School & Mass Education Department, Govt. of Odisha.
- Medical Officer (in the rank of Assistant Surgeon) on deputation from of Health &Family Welfare Department, Govt. of Odisha.
- Assistant Director (Road Safety) working in the Road Safety cell of Office of the Transport Commissioner, Odisha.
The Functions of Lead Agency-Road Safety Cell shall be as follows:
- To work as a secretariat for the State Road Safety Council, arrange meetings of the Council issue it's Minutes and monitor the implementation of the decisions of the Council by the concerned Departments of the State.
- To coordinate with the concerned Departments of the State Government to ensure implementation of the directions issued from time to time by this Committee and furnish compliance Report in a time bound manner.
- To ensure implementation of the directions given by the Central Government from time to time.
- To notify annual targets for reduction of accidents and fatalities as fixed by the State and draw up an Annual Action plan to achieve the targets and monitor its implementation.
- To collate on a regular basis data on road accidents and analysis the data to identify areas/road stretches and categories of accident victims who should be focused upon.
- To manage the Road Safety Fund and ensure that the Fund is effectively utilized.